Healthwatch Harrow can now refer people who they believe are vulnerable or are at higher risk of serious medical complications from COVID-19, to NHS Volunteer Responders.
NHS Volunteer Responders can provide support to people who need to shield because they are at higher risk of serious medical complications from COVID-19. This means that as well as people who have received a shielding letter, we can also refer:
People aged 70 years and older with underlying health conditions:
- People who are pregnant
- If you are newly socially vulnerable as a result of COVID 19
- People who are registered disabled
- Other high-risk conditions.
What support is available from the NHS Volunteer Responders?
There are currently 3 volunteer roles to support self-referring individuals as part of the scheme:
- Community Response Volunteer: Volunteers to collect and deliver shopping, medication or other essential supplies for shielding patients
- Community Response Plus (Coming soon): Volunteers to collect and deliver shopping, medication or other essential supplies for patients with cognitive impairments and deliver significant vulnerabilities who are shielding. This volunteer will be DBS checked
- Check in and Chat: Volunteers to provide telephone support to individuals who are at risk of loneliness.
I think I need the help of a NHS Volunteer Responder, but I have not received a letter, how do I access their help?
You are welcome to call the NHS Volunteer Responder Support Team on 0808 196 3646( 8am to 8pm). You will asked if you fall in to one of the above 5 categories.
If you do not have any of the health conditions listed above you will need to contact your Health Professional or GP to raise the referral on your behalf.
We recommend that you contact the NHS Volunteer Responder team directly as this is the quickest route, however, Healthwatch Harrow are able to make the referral on your behalf if required.
To do so please telephone 020 3432 2889 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’m a carer – can I make a referral on someone else’s behalf?
As someone with caring responsibilities, you are able to make a referral for someone that you care for that meets the above criteria. You can also make a referral for yourself, if this support helps you to continue in your caring role. Please call us on 0808 196 3646 to make a referral.
For more information or to read our FAQs, please click here.
For further information please refer to the website: